Tips for Protesting Your Denton County Property Taxes
If you're still in 'sticker shock' after getting your property tax estimate, I'd like to give you some tips to help you out in protesting.
- Here is the link for all the information from the Denton County Appraisal District on how to protest your taxes ➡️ https://www.dentoncad.com/protest . You can always contact them by phone at 940-349-3800.
- Make sure that you have a homestead exemption if it is your primary residence. There are also other exemptions you may be able to use to your advantage. To find out more about exemptions, here is the link to the Denton County Appraisal District exemption information ➡️ https://www.dentoncad.com/exemptions
- Use the condition of your property. Take photos of any updates or repairs that need to be made. Also, make a list of all these repairs/updates/projects to include with the photos. They will keep these and put them in your file.
- Property values have gone up across the area, but you *might* be able to use comparable sales to show your property value is lower than the appraisal district estimated value.
- I've personally never had much success in getting my property value lowered online. I have had much better success at going to the appraisal office. Typically, going first thing in the morning keeps you from having to wait in a long line. And going in well before the deadline date will help as well. You can always try protesting online, and if you don't get a value that's acceptable, you can opt to go in to meet them.
- Should you opt to go in and negotiate the value of your property, use your factual information (photos, list of repairs/updates needed, comparable properties). They will only use this information to negotiate - they typically will not be swayed by emotion. As frustrated as you might be, getting angry with the person at the appraisal district won't do you any good. Using your factual information and kindness goes a LONG way.😀
I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!